Thursday, March 7, 2013

Freezer Breakfast Burritos

My husband works out of town and spends a lot of hours on the job where he sometimes forgets to do things like eat breakfast. I decided to make him some breakfast burritos he can just pull out of the freezer and microwave. 

I searched for recipes online but honestly I decided to just use what I had on hand in order to not have to run to the store. Oh, and there was a blizzard outside and my car wasn't going anywhere even if I wanted it too:)

Without further ado I give you Breakfast Burritos: Freezer Style

Ingredients:
  • Eggs - 6 or 7 
  • Cheese - whatever kind you like
  • Sausage - not pictured but I used a Farmland 16 oz roll
  • Tortillas 
  • Pepper - Any other spices you want is fine, I didn't use the salt even though it's pictured
  • Green Pepper - 1/2 because mine were pretty big
  • Red Pepper - 1/2 because mine were pretty big
  • Onion - not pictured
  • Salsa - Canned from my garden last summer, amazing!



Gather your ingredients, feel free to use whatever flavors and spices you love. 


Toss your sausage roll into a pan and start to brown it. 





Slice up your veggies while you have the sausage browning on the stove. 


Admire how yummy the sausage looks while cooking. 





Once the sausage is cooked put it in a bowl and let the grease cool a bit.  


No worries, I didn't burn it, my husband prefers his crispy plus the photos a little dark:)

Crack your eggs into a bowl. I added a bit of milk and then scrambled them all up. 




Now, you can take a little of the sausage grease and pour it on your puppy's dry dog food. Not all of it, he doesn't need a heart attack just a little fat to fill him out a bit. 


He will love you forever. Dispose of the rest of the grease as normal.



Next, you want to cook up those scrambled eggs. 




Make sure they are light and fluffy. 



Once the eggs are done it's time for the assembly. I lay out individual sheets of wax paper that I got at Costco. Microwaving the tortillas (I did one at a time) helps to make them softer so they fold easily without cracking.

First you want to sprinkle a little cheese on the warm tortilla. 



Add some sausage crumbles and about 1/3rd of cup of scrambled eggs.


Lay out some red and green peppers and sprinkle some onion on there.



Next you want to add some salsa to give it a little extra kick.



Then roll it on up. I left the ends open because the burritos where too stuffed to try to fold in. 



Now roll them up in the wax paper being sure to tuck the ends in so you don't make a mess. 





Make sure you label your bag before adding the burritos. It's kinda tricky if you don't;)



Stuff em all in the bag and toss them in the freezer and you're done!



I was able to make seven large burritos with the ingredients listed at the top. I even had extra guts of the burrito but ran out of tortillas.

My husband tried one of these for the first time the other day and texted me to say:

"Dang you're good. Those breakfast burritos are wonderful." 
He said he microwaved the frozen burrito for 2 minutes but I'm sure it varies depending on your microwave. 

I didn't actually try the burritos myself because it was Friday and I don't eat meat on Friday's during Lent and also I don't like eggs. I'm weird. I know. 

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything I left out:) 


5 comments:

  1. I live in Texas. The breakfast burritos are normal food here. I make mine a bit different than you do though. I cook the bell peppers and onion in the pan with the sausuage. When this is all cooked through I add the eggs to the pan and cook the eggs in the same pan with the sausage-pepper-onion mixture. When I make the burritos up for the freezer I add some cheese to the tortillas. I roll them in the wax paper like you and freeze.
    My husband and grandsons love these.
    I make a breakfast sandwich the same way. I use bacon, eggs, and cheese on a bun...I buy the least expensive buns I can find..the smallest ones I can find..I use two pieces of cooked bacon, (cut in half so there are 4 pieces of bacon on each bun) I add a cooked egg. (I like to use eggs that are fried till set in butter) and a slice of cheese. I then assemble the sandwich. (Oh yes, I toast the buns too for added flavor) So on the bun there is 2 slices of bacon, an egg, a piece of cheese and the top bun. Wrap in wax paper and freeze. My husband swears these are as good as any from a fast food place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you are from Texas! That's actually where my husband works right...I'm pretty sure he liked the burritos before he got there though:)

      When I was telling my mom about this recipe she suggested cooking the peppers and onions with the sausage and then the eggs like you did above. I will definitely have to try it next time I make some.

      I've also been wanting to try a similar type breakfast sandwich so I will have to post it here if I try it out. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. If you add some cooked brown rice or black beans you can stretch the meat and add fiber at the same time. I like about half as much rice and black beans to the amount of meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Idea!! My husband is a meat and potatoes kinda guy so he may think I'm crazy but I might try doing this for myself:)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I just checked out your blog and that stuffed french toast looks to die for!!!!

      Delete

I love comments and will do my very best to get back with you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...