- Give up some type of social media - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest - Even better if you replace these activities with #4:)
- Stop using the lords name in vain and/or stop using cuss words.
- Give up your favorite dessert/snack or treat.
- Read books, blogs, magazines and newspapers that focus on faith and strengthen your relationship with God.
- Go to weekly stations of the cross at your local church if available.
- Give up listening to the radio in your car. Replace the silence with religious music or audio books, talk with those riding with you, or spend time talking to God.
- Focus more on others instead of self by doing daily or weekly random acts of kindness for people. Do these things anonymously if possible.
- Give up watching TV or even just your favorite TV shows.
- Give to the poor in any way you can. Food, clothing or even time.
- Spend time daily talking to Jesus. Thank him. Ask him for guidance in something you might be struggling with. Be sure to listen as well.
I wish I could say that I'm doing everything on this list but I am trying to do a couple different things. I have given up pop (aka:soda for those of you that don't know what pop is;) which is super hard for me. I love to have a nice cold caffeinated Pepsi or Dr. Pepper right after lunch in the afternoons to keep me awake. I also love it with popcorn, pizza, Mexican food, at the movies.....you get the idea. Luckily, I love water and Ice Tea as well so I should hopefully survive these 40 days and nights just fine.
I'm also working on reading several different books that the head LifeNight teacher loaned me over a year ago (yikes). My goal is to return all three after Lent is over.
Several of the other ideas on the list I'm trying to be more active in but I don't want to try to over commit and then fail. I guess we will just have to wait and see how I do. My goal is to have a deeper understanding of my faith and closer relationship with God. Wish me luck!
Have you decided to give up/do something for lent? What is it?