Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentines Day

I must admit that I'm not an over the top lover of Valentines day. I mean, I like it just fine. I have nothing against it. I guess it's just not my thing. 

Typically I don't really do anything for Valentines Day except go to dinner with my husband, which is the best way to celebrate if you ask me. This year though, I decided to test Valentines day out a little bit by doing some decorating. 

Honestly, I'm not sure why. My husband is out of town working and the only person that has seen the decorations, besides myself, is Gunnar (my dog). Pretty sure he didn't even notice though. Oh well.

I took things pretty easy this year and only decorated my fireplace and mantle. 


Here's the normal look of my fireplace...











...and here's the decorated version. 

I didn't want to spend a ton of money on decorations so most of the decor is random stuff around my house. I did splurge and buy the "XO" letters at Hobby Lobby and then paint them a shimmery red color. 



The little white vases I found at a thrift store for .50 cents each. 
I used them as part of table decor in my wedding. 


The hurricane vases I got from Seth's Grandma. 
I filled them with pink paper punches (that I saved from the trashcan at work).

I also used the pink paper punches to attach to ribbon and hang from the shutters. 




Prom photo from my Senior year of high school in 2005! 
Seth came home from college to take me:)

I honestly can't remember where I got this gumball machine. I'm guessing probably a thrift store. I guarantee I didn't pay over $3 for it though and it's one of the cool old ones that really works. I want to fill it with candy hearts but I haven't been to the store since I decorated. Maybe next year. 



I also splurged on 1 sheet of sparkly red scrapbook paper that I cut and taped to ribbon.


The little mailbox is from the $1 section of Target (love that place) and I had the "Love" magnet already. The black and white sign was a wedding gift that I LOVE and always stays on my mantle. I also just pulled a bunch of pink books from my book shelf to help vary the height of things. 

Well, I guess that's the end of the mantle tour. 


Here's the sappy part if you want to quit reading....

Happy Valentines Day to my very best friend and husband, Seth. When we started dating 11 years ago it changed my life for the best and I'm so happy to be your wife and grow old with you. You make everyday wonderful and continue to spoil me even when it's not Valentines Day. I love you and can't wait to see you tomorrow to celebrate with dinner and a movie (cause we're old like that;). 

XOXO,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will do my very best to get back with you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...