Monday, January 5, 2015

A New Year Without Resolutions!

It's already the 5th of January and until I started writing this post I was feeling slightly overwhelmed and like I already failed at the New Year. I decided to not make formal New Years Resolutions this year and I was a little worried about it because who doesn't like starting a new year with a long list of to-do's? 

I think it's my indecisiveness and moderate ADD that make resolutions overwhelming to me in general. I have so many ideas, hopes, dreams, that just thinking about them all makes my head spin. And then writing them down scares the crap out of me. 

Instead of year long resolutions, that usually end up forgotten by February, I have decided to try and have a general focus for the year. 

This year my focus is going to be:
SIMPLIFY


To me, Simplify, can mean a lot of different things but I think it can be pretty well summed up by saying: 

Figure out what's important to you, and get rid of everything else.

Can you tell I'm currently loving gold and polka dots?
Here's my plan of action:
1. Clean out my closets and cabinets and get rid of things that I don't need or use.
2. Plan ahead for things like birthdays, meals, bills, etc. using my planner.
3. Set up automatic banking transfers to save money for home improvements
4. Spend less time looking at screens which will create extra time
5. Fix problems instead of creating work arounds
6. Clean out unneeded digital data (photos, files, emails, etc.)
7. Buy less and use what I have
8. Add in extra time to avoid being late
9. Spend 15 minutes a day cleaning (laundry, dusting, sweeping) to avoid a weekend of cleaning
10. Focus any extra time on relationships. 


I realize this may look like a long list of resolutions but I would like to argue that it is different. This list is by no means all inclusive but it does help to give me a starting point and a direction for where I want to go this year. I'm hoping that by keeping it simple (aka: Simplifying) all I have to do is ask myself, "Will ________ help to simplify my life?"  The answer to that one little question should help me to focus on what really matters. 

January is filling up!

Do you have New Years Resolutions? Do you stick to them? I want to know what you think!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of simplifying your life. We just moved, and I realized how much "stuff" we have that doesn't even get used, which in turn means, we probably don't even need it! Time for us to "simplify", too! Thanks for the reminder :)
    -Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need this too! I like the idea of getting rid of everything else, but sometimes it makes me feel like a quitter. Then again I'm getting pretty good at quitting these days...so I think I'll keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will do my very best to get back with you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...